When we woke up on our 4th day in Rome it was raining. I don't mean a little rain, I mean coming down in buckets rain. By the time we had walked a couple of blocks we were soaking wet. So we visited Castel Sant'Angelo:
1. because it looked cool and
2. because it was close and
3. because it was inside and
4. because hopefully the rain would stop by the time we were ready to leave.
It was very cool.
And dry, and the rain had stopped by the time we were ready to leave.
At which point we headed to the Pantheon.
I read that you should go to the Pantheon when it is raining so you can see the rain coming through the oculus. By the time we arrived it was indeed raining again and the rain does come through the oculus into a large area in the middle of the floor. The ancient Romans had it all figured out and the water drains nicely down many, many small holes in the floor. There used to be a legend that it would never rain in the Pantheon, but it does rain inside. I saw it. Scientists figured that people didn't used to think it rained inside because all the candles they used to light the building created heat which caused the rain to evaporate before it ever hit the floor, leading people to believe it didn't rain inside.
All of the rain and walking necessitated our gelato of the day.
which I did balance by eating fruit for lunch....
Then you climb another 130 stairs or so to the outside of the dome.
Best views ever!
And so another day in Rome (our last) ended with our obligatory view of St. Peter's Basilica.....

No comments:
Post a Comment