Thursday, June 24, 2010

The "Real" Splasher

We've lived in Modesto for 18 years now and, as are all those who hail from Modesto, we are well acquainted with Splasher the frog.  Splasher is the MID mascot, who regularly warns children to stay out of the canals.  In fact he is the canal safety frog. 


In his mascot form he appears at various functions about town and makes the rounds touring schools for assemblies during the spring months.  Seeing what gets dumped in canals is enough to discourage me from going into a canal, but I digress.

This morning on my bike ride I was riding along the canal banks when I saw several "splashers"!  Not the tacky mascot form, but the real hopping thing.  Unfortunately they were too quick to get any photos, but I could have reached out and picked up their big slimy selves had I been so inclined (which I wasn't--got enough of that with Jessica's 3rd grade habitat project).  It reminded me once again of my darling nephew Cameron--"what's up with all the frogs?"

1 comment: