Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Modesto Nuts

When we first moved to Modesto 19 years ago we discovered the Modesto A's.  It was the minor league affiliate to the Oakland A's.  Going to the games held great appeal.  The stadium was close, cheap, and friendly to small people (of which we had 2).  There was a cute mascot, an elephant named Peanut--the kids loved him.

Several years ago the team was sold (or moved or traded or whatever they do with minor league teams) and they needed a new name.  I believe there was even some kind of contest held.  When they announced the new name I was in disbelief.  The Nuts.  I know we produce copious quanitites of nuts in Modesto, that's not a bad thing, but who names their baseball team The Nuts--apparently we did.  Then we were introduced to the new mascots, Wally and Al (The nuts--walnut and almond).  I never liked Al, he looks depressed.


Fast forward several years.  My niece was here visiting and we took her to a Modesto Nuts game.  Here's our conversation:
Niece:  Who's the peanut guy?
Me:  He's not a peanut, he's an almond.
Niece:  I think he looks like a peanut.
Me (texting my sister, niece's mom):  Your daughter thinks our mascot looks like a peanut, I think he looks depressed.
Sister (texting me back): You'd be depressed too if you were an almond and everyone thought you were a peanut.

BUT, although our mascots are a little ridiculous, I still love going to Modesto Nuts games.
  • After 19 years, the tickets are still cheap.  You can sit in the best seats in the house, right behind home plate for $12. 
  • You can get good tickets the day of the game.
  • The players play their hearts out.  They're not playing for big bucks, they're playing because they want to impress the coaches.  And because of this you get a great show.  Never leave before the end of the game--no matter how far behind they are, they always seem to catch up.  And they catch up in a "I'm going to give it everything I've got" way that makes for really exciting baseball. 
Steve and I went to the game last night.  They were behind 5-3 as the 9th inning got underway.  They won in spectacular fashion, I'm glad we didn't leave early.

1 comment: