Monday, October 25, 2010

Patience is a Virtue

I hate it when people honk at me when I'm stopped at a light when I'm driving.  It happened again today.  Let me make it clear, I am not someone who sits endlessly at a light without going--if I were, people could honk as much as they wanted to.

Take today for example.  I was unfortunate to be behind a Modesto City Schools bus that was belching unsafe quantities of thick black smoke.  I was also unfortuate enough to be driving "the truck" which does not have air conditioning, so I had the window down on a warm afternoon.  So when the light changed from red to green, I let the bus get a little head start so I didn't inhale too much of its' exhaust.  The person behind me honked!  I remind you, this was seconds after the light changed.  The people in the other lane hadn't even gone yet.  I feel this was very unnecessary.

Other occassions when honking is unnecessary....
  • You really have to allow the person ahead of you enough time to move their foot from the brake to the gas before you honk.  We are not all sitting, gunning our engines like we are at the Indy 500.
  • When people are still crossing the sidewalk, I'm not a fan of running people over just because they cross the crosswalk a little slowly.
  • When cars run red lights coming the other direction.  I'm also not a fan of being broadsided just because the guy behind me is in a hurry.
  • When there is a car in front of me. Don't honk at me, I don't ram other cars.
So remember, patience is a virtue!

No comments:

Post a Comment