Thursday, September 23, 2010

Middle Schoolers

I started a new job in the library of a middle school.  I really like it.  I was a little afraid of the idea of middle schoolers, but I've found they just don't know who they are--children and adults at the same time. 

I've got some catching up to do when it comes to "tween-teen" literature, so I've been taking their recommendations for books to read.  Just to further demonstrate their lack of knowing who they are--these are the first of their recommendations that I have read....

The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins--about a futuristic world where teens are sent into an arena and fight to the death, with only one left standing at the end.

AND

Ragweed by Avi--a sweet prequel to Poppy about a quiet little country mouse who leaves his home to find adventure in the big city (he actually starts a revolution against the cats in town, but that's another story).

A dichotomy--I think so.

1 comment:

  1. some of my friends from school started this blog: http://teachersreadbooks.blogspot.com/. you might like it!

    ReplyDelete