I love the Sneetches. I love the message of acceptance, non-discrimination, and of the importance of each individual--no matter what they look like on the outside. A similar message can be found in another of my favorites, Horton Hears a Who.
I love Dr. Seuss, he is the king of rhyme, of hilarious characters, of words, of creativity!
But reading it 21 times is a lot. You know this when you go to bed with phrases like this ringing in your head:
- "Sneetches on beaches"
- "Only ten dollars eaches"
- "until neither the Plain nor the Star-Bellies knew whether this one was that one or that one was this one or which one was what one... or what one was who."
- No you can't teach a Sneetch
- "But McBean was quite wrong I'm quite happy to say"
- "And he said in a voice clear and keen, my name is Sylvester McMonkey McBean"
You get the idea.
(Wait I wasn't totally honest--I only read it 20 times, once I read The Zax. The class was late and The Zax is short. The Zax isn't much on deep messages but is has one of my favorite Dr. Seuss pictures)


No comments:
Post a Comment